Wednesday, September 17, 2008

again with the guilt

Again I'm feeling guilty, so should I say still!!! I have been working hard on this quilt, there are only 15 blocks left......but then comes making the binding and actually binding the quilt. Let's review the time line on this quilt so far, first there was the day that the owner and I spent sorting fabric and ironing and cutting we were together for 8 hours then I worked on it for another 3 hours after that. The next day I spent a whole day washing and ironing the fabrics that we had not gotten to the day before (by whole day I mean another 8 hours)and the ironing was not all done it took another 3 hours for that!!! Then cutting all those little pieces, that took another 8 hours, Then the piecing that was 3 days work of work so on average I spent 5 hours each day sitting at the sewing machine whenever I could. I forgot the washing, drying,and ironing of the muslin (that was only about 1/2 an hour)then the cutting of the muslin, you can only cut so many at once because of how it is folded so it took a whole afternoon. Then I traced all the pictures off of the fabric (another 2 hours)and took the pictures to the copier to enlarge. At that point we got together again and decided where each picture should go, actually she chose and I traced and we only stopped for a half hour at lunch she was here from 8 am to 3 pm.(6.5 hours)After the kids went to bed I layered it and basted it so that took about an hour ( I hate basting in case you didn't know that)

Now for the quilting on average it takes about 1hour a "block" so far I have done 27 blocks so we are looking at 27 hours just in quilting time so far, I still have 15 to go. Now let's see the total time spent so far.

27
1
8
3
8
3
8
.5
4
2
+6.5
= 71

That is so scary 71 hours spent so far, imagine paying some one hourly to do this at $10.00 an hour that is $710.00 for a not complete quilt!!!! It is alot of work and this does not include the fabrics, thread, backing and batting ouch!!! It could get costly!!!!

No comments: