Saturday, August 16, 2008

Double wedding ring quilt

this is a quilt I am doing for a friend, all the fabrics are hers (actually a few are from my stash) she has memories in all of them, it's great to sit with her as she remembers all the different things she has made and who they are for. Some of the fabrics are actually from clothing she had as a child, and left over bits from her boys baby quilts.

The blue and white centers are from her actual wedding dress (scraps that she had that were still in the original bag) and the blue is from outits she made for her boys as babies.

The deal with this quilt is that I do the quilt and she traded me for a sweater she knit for me from "real" wool. I'm sad to say I have the sweater already but her quilt is still in the working stage!!!

We have spent 2 days together planning the quilt The first time we got together to sort, iron and start cuttung fabric. We spent very close to 8 hours sitting around the table ( well I sat she stood at the ironing board) and we were far from complete. I think it took about another week and a half to get it alredy!!!

Then I spent another week piecing the quilt. Once the peicing was done, we got together again to diecde what should be quilted in the center of which "ring", she diecded which picture she wanted where and enlarged them (some of them I had traced before hand and enlarged on a copier) or drew them when needed. I traced them onto the quilt, when she left that day the quilt was ready to be basted (ughhhhh).

I then basted it that evening, and started quilting, unfournatly it was late spring and so the quilt has been waiting for it not the be so hat to be quilted!!!

Check in reguarly to see the process I'll post pics as I go.

Oh I forgot there are also 2 pillow shams, They are finished but I have yet to take the pic!!!!

1 comment:

lori frejek said...

it's looking great Karen. the blue fabric in the corners is actually from a maternity dress i made when i was expecting Peter my 17 yr. old.